Guildford CLP notes:
• To prevent the worst effects of climate change, we must keep temperature rises below 1.5°C.
• Over 1°C of warming has already taken place, causing floods, droughts, heatwaves, pollution, and deaths. The poorest - particularly in the Global South - suffer most. Tackling climate change tackles social, racial and economic injustice.
• Just 100 companies are responsible for most carbon emissions; and the Conservative government is deregulating the fossil fuel industry and cutting support for renewables.
• Labour has supported the youth strikes for climate and Extinction Rebellion, pushing the climate emergency up the national agenda. A Green New Deal is now a demand we must make.
Guildford CLP calls on the Labour Party to include a Green New Deal in the manifesto: a state-led programme of investment and regulation for the decarbonisation and transformation of our economy that reduces inequality and pursues efforts to keep global average temperature rises below 1.5°C.
• Commitment to net-zero carbon emissions by 2030;
• Rapidly phasing out all fossil fuels;
• Large-scale investment in renewables;
• A just transition to well-paid, unionised, green jobs;
• Public, democratic ownership of the energy industry;
• Green public integrated transport that connects Britain;
• Supporting developing countries' climate transitions by increasing transfers of finance, technology and capacity;
• Assuring everyone's basic rights through the provision of affordable energy and public transport for all;
• Welcoming climate refugees while addressing the issues that cause the displacement of peoples.
• Policies to support the decarbonisation of farming and food production.